Saturday, March 7, 2009

Meme's Cabbage Rolls

I take about 12 cabbage leaves and put in pot
of water - bring to a boil and turn off- let sit about 10 minutes in the hot water - then drain - they will cool as you are making beef mix-
  • 1 pound lean ground beef-
  • 2/3 cup instant rice or left over cooked plain rice
  • 1 can tomato sauce- (15 oz. )
  • ( I have used tomato soup in place of sauce--1 can plus 1 can water and omit the other half cup of water)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • dash or two of pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sugar( cuts the acid taste )
  • 1/2 cup water

mix tomato sauce - water - salt - pepper- sugar , together =

mix beef and rice and add 1/2 the sauce mix-

place approx 1/3 cup of mix into each cabbage leaf-

wrap up and place in a un-greased baking dish ( approx 8 by 8)

pour remaining sauce over rolls and bake at 350F- oven for 50 minutes =

( make sure beef is well done- really depends on thickness of rolls_)

huggles from Meme

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

hi meme,funny, I was just getting a craving for cabbage rolls.I think I'll make some tomorrow.I usually use ground pork as well as beef,do you ever make them that way?
cyndi

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

You have reminded me Meme...my Mother makes Cabbage Rolls and so did my Beloved Grandmother...delicious, now I think I will have to make some too...Dzintra XX